Friday, November 7, 2014

Some Not Taking Advantage Of FREE Health Screenings

For the first time in a long time, a recent story I reported on for the Canarsie Courier hit home in more ways than one.
A faithful advertiser, First MedCare Inc., is offering – with no strings attached – free breast, cervical and colon cancer screenings for those 40 and over who are uninsured, underinsured and even those who are undocumented.

You would think hundreds are lining up or calling the facility to get tested – the screenings are FREE and people usually don’t respond to anything unless it’s for something free. But when I interviewed the staff at First MedCare Inc., I was saddened to find out that, for whatever reason, my fellow Canarsiens are not taking advantage of this important program.  

When my father passed away last year of esophageal cancer and I learned that my grandmother passed away of stomach cancer, I panicked – and wished that I had health insurance to get screened for a variety of cancers. I also overhear people in Canarsie speaking about an acquaintance or family member who has succumbed to cancer.

Yes, some Canarsiens still seem to either fear finding out something may be wrong, they simply don’t want to know, or there may be some religious reason for choosing not to be screened. If you’re one of the many who refuse to make an appointment – maybe because you “don’t have time” or you’re going to leave it to fate and find out about your health when it’s too late, you’re only slighting yourself and not thinking of the hundreds of residents who fit the criteria and want to be screened, but they’re too young.

While screening is highly recommended for those over 40 and 50 because of the increased health risk factors later in life, younger people, such as myself, who are uninsured or underinsured, aren’t typically eligible for the program. Fortunately, I was told that I am eligible since cancer runs in my family and I was relieved to know that I can make an appointment to get screened based on being a high-risk case.

It was suggested by one of the First MedCare Inc. staff that a program like this would probably flourish in another community. I question why that is, if we’re an active community that can complain about various quality of life issues – why aren’t we as equally concerned about our own health and wellbeing?

Free screenings, which don’t seem to be highly attended, are also offered year-round by elected officials. The survival of cancer screening programs depends on Canarsiens’ participation. It just doesn’t seem logical that something good and FREE is not being taken advantage of. It’s as simple as one visit and can save your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment