Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Happy 2016 To All Those Plotting Criminals!


So it’s 2016 and you’ve vowed to make the same changes in your life that you probably made years ago. You want to lose weight, have more patience, get a new job, be a “better” something to someone, or you want to contribute more time to doing something that you neglected in 2015.

Personally, I don’t believe in New Year’s “resolutions.” It’s great that we change the calendar to a “new year” in January – but for some of us, a “new year” can begin at ANY time, when something has changed in our lives or when something has catapulted us to make a change in how we conduct ourselves on a daily basis.

My personal “new year” began the day I started running. I vowed, after I ran my first 5K, that I would commit my days to reaching even more personal goals of completing more races in 2016 and training to run harder and faster as the year progressed – and this was a decision I made in the summer of 2015. I didn’t need to make a promise to myself or resolve to “become a better person” because the calendar said I should…I just DID IT without any time-oriented constraints, starting points or motivation.

Seriously, why bother making a psychological resolution that you haven’t even tried to begin without the calendar telling you when to start improving your life? Let’s get real!

Most people don’t stick to their resolutions and when you look at how things are going in the city – in a downward spiral – it’s obvious that we need to make resolutions that are realistic, tangible and less selfish.

I yawn every time politicians and civic leaders stand at a microphone or podium and say we “have to do something – NOW!” to stop the gun violence – or whatever other type of horror exists in their neighborhoods.

Wanna bet 2016 will be fueled with more of these press releases and rhetorical demands that haven’t prevented gang violence from taking someone’s life? The criminals are the ones who need to make better resolutions – to keep the public safe and to keep themselves out of the slammer!

How about gang members and thugs, who get their hands on firearms, making some conscious resolutions? Here’s what those punks need to say: “I resolve not to pop a cap in someone’s a** this year!”… Or: “My New Year’s resolution is to not purchase an illegal weapon and ruin a family’s life because I have an irrational way of dealing with my frustrations…” How about: “I resolve to enroll in an anger management program – or do something with myself that’s more constructive than murdering someone.”

I’ve got another suggestion – all those motorists who recklessly operate a vehicle without a valid license or those who feel the need to mow someone down by speeding or driving while intoxicated – YOU need to make some real resolutions!!! Say things like: “I resolve to not get into a car while I’m under the influence, subsequently risking my life and others…” or: “In 2016, I will FINALLY adhere to the rules of the road…” and, “This year, I’m not gonna commit a hit-and-run that will make the front page of the Canarsie Courier.”

Someone has to put the “solution” in “resolution” – and it’s usually the good-hearted people with a few selfish “improvements” they want to make in their own lives that really have no bearing on anyone else’s safety or well-being. The bad guys will probably start 2016 by planning their next hit, their next theft or their next slaying. Is that anyway to “start over?”

Maybe all of those irrational criminals simply aren’t motivated to stay out of jail. Maybe all of those gun smugglers have no intention of saving someone’s life by ceasing their operations. Most of these heartless punks do the opposite – they resolve to wipe out their enemies and make 2016 an even MORE violent year so they can make the news! How committed they must be!

While many resolutions are self-centered – yet attainable and briefly carried out – they’re not enough to change the tragic events that plague our community - and the city - year after year.  Come onour personal resolutions aren’t preventing tragedies.

I know it’s a pipe dream, but those who are impulsively violent, deranged and have no regard for another human being’s life need to stop themselves from being destructive – in 2016 and beyond!

So, here’s to more violence making the front pages of the Canarsie Courier, and here’s to senseless criminals who have no idea what the “new year” is really all about.  Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment