Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Runner Is Born...


Getting to the scene of an accident on time is one of a reporters biggest challenges. If we get there before the police or the paramedics, we're lucky – or unfortunate enough – to snap photos of a victim on the ground suffering from their injuries. Harsh, I know, but it’s part of the job!

Earlier this year, there was a car accident on Avenue L and East 99th Street. It came over the scanner as a car accident with injuries. I knew I had to bolt out of the Canarsie Courier office. I heard the FDNY ambulance siren wailing as I raced from the office to Avenue L. I knew that if I wanted a fresh shot of the accident, I'd have to get there…FAST.

So, I did whatever I had to do to get there in time to capture the disaster. I LITERALLY RAN! I ran so fast that I wound up beating the police to the intersection where the accident took place. As I ran from the Courier office to East 99th Street, I felt a sense of strength and my adrenaline was pumping faster as I raced past each block and avenue. I was beyond winded and breathless as I got closer, but the sensation of my calf muscles coming to life was more exciting than the car accident itself. I used to get excited to capture the “money shots” of people being taken away on stretchers, but suddenly, the feeling of running was a rush I never really appreciated.

Running it!!!
Let’s get real – lots of people have a hobby or sport that they enjoy outside of their career. In the back of my mind, I always thought that if I was going to pursue anything athletic, it would probably be running – because that's what my job often required me to do when I heard something news breaking.

The week after the car accident made the newspaper, I remembered how exhilarating it felt when my feet hit the pavement and I picked up speed. How far could I run, I wondered? And for how long?

A couple of weeks later, I had a Saturday morning to myself and decided I’d put my physical ability to the test. I headed over to Canarsie Park and jogged easily for about 20 minutes. I was only able to complete a mile, but the sensation and energy I had after my few rounds inside the park was exhilarating! I went back to the park a few days later and did another one-mile run. Two weeks later, I made it to two miles! While the 69th Precinct Community Council was hosting its games, I’d pass board members by and make my rounds – eventually running two and a half miles straight without having to take a break.

July changed my life forever.

I was asked to write an article on T.E.A.L. (Tell Every Amazing Lady About Ovarian Cancer) and the organizers’ annual walk/run in Prospect Park, which raised money to bring awareness to ovarian cancer. The press release from T.E.A.L. noted that there was a 5K run being held during their events at the park in September. What’s a 5K race? I always saw these advertisements and never had a reason to run. After interviewing Pamela Esposito-Amery and learning how little women know about ovarian cancer, my interest in supporting the cause, joining other runners and testing my own strength motivated me to do more with my new “hobby.”

A few days after talking to Pamela, I signed up online for the T.E.A.L. 5K run, not knowing how I’d be able to complete it – I’d never ran three miles straight! I clocked in most of my runs at about 30 to 40 minutes and the park in Canarsie wasn’t really helping during the summer. Garbage-strewn walkways, kids running in the middle of the path, people illegally barbecuing and dumping their trash on park grounds. Nothing says: “You can run a 5K!” like the smell of trash and spicy chicken…

I needed a new adventure to train for this race. So, I took the road less traveled. And if you ask me, it’s not really traveled by many who aren’t up for the sport of running or biking. I headed to the Belt Parkway! It’s still in Canarsie, still a mile from my house, and still a natural environment to hone my running skills.

By day, I was at the Courier office “chasing” the story, and by the evening I was out chasing my goal of being able to run three miles for the T.E.A.L. race. By the end of August, I was just about set. In addition to the rush, running gave me bursts of energy and I didn’t have as many aches and pains from the daily grind as I used to. Little did I know, running was an addiction.
There were evenings I’d take to the Belt before a meeting – just to cover a couple of miles since I didn’t want to lapse in my training. By Saturday, September 12th, I was well prepared.

I had to be at the race by 8 that morning. Even though I’m far from a morning person, I was anxious and determined as I made my way to Prospect Park. I’d obviously never ran in a race before, so when I received my number – 4056 – I felt a surge of excitement and also a sense of humbleness. Ovarian cancer survivors and their families inspirationally donned teal and white gear as they signed in for the race/walk. Soon, I headed to the starting line with a crowd of runners, some who’d lost their mothers, sisters and daughters to ovarian cancer and held a sign supporting their loved ones. The combined feeling of being humbled and revved up for the race gave me the extra jolt I needed as race participants picked up speed to make it to the finish line. I have to admit, two miles into the race, I was winded and had to slow down a bit. When I ran at Canarsie Park or along the Belt, I wasn't really going full force against hundreds of other runners – this took my “hobby” to a whole other level!

After walking for a minute, I saw the finish line not too far ahead and practically sprinted to the clock that showed the passing minutes and seconds. The square red numbers displayed 32:23. I wasn’t concerned about how long it took me – I simply wanted to complete the race, which I’d spent four and a half months training for.

At the end, I felt exhilarated, successful and honored to join hundreds of runners – many who experienced so many more life challenges than I ever had to face. I didn’t know how much time others spent preparing for the race, but I did know that I wanted to keep training to run in other 5Ks in the future – for whatever cause that would get me moving and motivated.

So, if you see me running in the middle of the street and I don’t say hello – don't take it personal…I might not have time to stop and talk and reveal whether I’m running to a crime scene or gearing up for my next big race.

1 comment: