Friday, September 19, 2014

Celebrating 40 Years Of What's Now Impersonal Communication

Happy Birthday to you, 

Happy Birthday to you, 

Happy Birthday dear Cell Phone... 

Happy Birthday to you!

When I heard that the first cell phone call was made 40 years ago last week on April 3rd, the first thing I thought about was how rapidly these addictive devices have changed over the decades. Which cell phone did you make your first phone call on? Did it look like a brick or were you among the first who got a cool flip phone?

My estimation is that the cell phone was initially intended to be a simple device that we could use to contact others when we're not home or in an emergency, perhaps.
Somehow, these marvelous devices have transformed us into distant zombies who are dependent on obsessive texting, impersonal communication and networking – to the point where our phone is like a body part from which we can’t tear ourselves away! Is that what Marty Cooper, a Motorola engineer who made the first cell phone call in 1973, felt when he made that call?

I doubt it...

I got my first cell phone – a bulky Nokia – in 1999 and I only had 60 minutes to use each month with free nights and weekends (from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., of course).
I think the phones in those days were free but, before that, many of them cost a few hundred dollars and barely held a charge. 

I was able to afford a cell phone bill after I started my first real job, which was in the city and – I feel old saying this – I didn't know anyone who used text messaging (even though I've read that it already existed in some form). Therefore, neither myself nor any of my co-workers were tied to our gadgets. We were simply on the telephone all day – actually talking.

Unfortunately, you could forget about using your cell phone in an emergency back in the days – there were so many “dead zones” and no one knew if it was because of their phone or service carrier. However, after the 9/11 World Trade Center attacks, I noticed a lot more cell phone companies updating their service coverage areas and cell towers became more prominent, improving connections. Subsequently, wireless communication became more popular.
Now that we're all fabulously wireless, all we've become is more and more attached to our cell phones. But we're not using them for their original purpose. I have to admit, I was hooked on the non-conversational use of a cell phone after I sent my first text message in 2005. At first, I just sent text messages to let someone know where I was...Like many, I used texts to shoot someone a note, an important address or reminder.

Soon, text messaging was used in lieu of a real conversation – and those old cell phones with a numbers-only keypad weren’t enough. Communication was slowly demoted from our mouth to our fingers.
 
Yes, we text messaged on those long flip phones, pressing down two or three times to finish one word. Our next phone, though, probably had a slide out or on-screen keyboard – whether we were using a Blackberry or some other type of SmartPhone. As time progressed, our mobile devices were e-mail friendly, so not only did we stop calling and texting, we started sending e-mails to our loved ones in the middle of the street.
Nowadays, when you're at a meeting or conference, everyone's on their cell phone – taking “notes,” checking e-mails and confirming information on their digital calendars. Sometimes, asking someone for information means they have to open their iPhone. I try not to be on my cell phone, networking or texting, while I'm at a community function.
But, like everyone else, I've sadly succumbed to the availability of the “silent conversations” made possible by advanced technology.

Let's get real! While we should be thankful to have everything at our fingertips in one device, we're not grateful that we still have the ability to punch someone's number into our phone and ask them “How you doin'?”
So, here's to another 40 years of not using our cell phones for their original intent. Well played consumers...well played.

http://www.canarsiecourier.com/news/2013-04-11/Telling_It_Like_It_Is/Telling_It_Like_It_Is.html

No comments:

Post a Comment