Friday, September 19, 2014

You’re Not Going To “Like” What This New Study Says About You

Have you heard the latest? A study once claimed that coffee has many health benefits. That scientific find is now ghastly overrated and found to be incorrect since it has to be coffee made from freshly ground beans. 

Another study once claimed having a glass of wine every day is good for the heart. That's now moot and it all depends on how large that “one glass” is. I can list a whole bunch of foods, scenarios and lifestyles that scientists once said promoted growth that's no longer deemed “healthy.” Nothing is good for your health anymore - including Facebook!
The University of Michigan decided to release a new, ridiculous 'study' about the negative mental effects of being on Facebook. According to the web site Digitaltrends.com, the study “tracked participants for two weeks, asking them questions apparently written by a committee of Jewish mothers, focusing on how worried or lonely the participants were at the moment and how much they had used Facebook since the last survey.” Participants who logged into Facebook more often were found to be sadder. Are these statistics for real?

Everyone – professionally and personally – who is connected with me on Facebook knows the routine and genre of things I post. From dishes that I've made, to my summer beach outings on the weekends, to professional accomplishments, I share events and happenings that I want to remember later in life.
Despite the fact that we enjoy sharing events in our lives with others, one study would have you rethinking how Facebook impacts your life. The latest 'study' reports that using Facebook somehow leads to unhappiness – more specifically, seeing others post fun and exciting things makes some people 'depressed.' I think that's a bit extreme, don't you? Do you get jealous or feel a sense of inadequacy from seeing photos of your friends and family having a good time when you're sitting there doing nothing (which is your own fault, of course)? Psychologically, everyone at some point feels “sad” when they go online and see everyone is enjoying their life – especially if you know they're shoving it in everyone's face that they have a fabulous life – and yours is less than eventful. I have to admit, I'm one of the only people among my Facebook friends (and in real life) who's not married with children or a baby on the way (by the way, I've confirmed this. I would say 75 percent of my childhood friends are married with a couple of children). I don't feel a sense of “loss” or “sadness” when one of my Bildersee alumni posts a photo of their latest sonogram – or of their colorful wedding photos that got over 20 comments in two hours. Me, feel depressed that I have a quiet life with a lot of great friends? I should feel sad because I can do whatever I want whenever I want because I'm not popping babies every couple of years? Oh, please!

No offense to those who conducted those “studies,” which went viral last week, but Facebook was created to connect people and reunite friends who WANT to know what's going on in each other’s lives. What I DO find sad is that the kids I grew up with in Canarsie don't even seem to really care about each other as much as they care about their current friends. The study didn't account for who, exactly, was contributing to this “depression” or “sadness” among Facebookers. Old friends? Casual acquaintances? One's family? Someone’s distant friends from 10 years ago probably don't care as much about what you post, but the ‘studies’ also note that we seek everyone's approval and want to show off to our old acquaintances.

How did we intimidate someone back in the day? Flashing a good old-fashioned photograph in front of their face? Would you throw your wedding or Sweet 16 photo album at them to prove you've “moved on” to better things in life?
I’m tired of hearing about ANY studies that involve Facebook. No one is forced to have a Facebook page and no one is forced to sit there purusing through photos of someone’s exciting life. So, whether you “like” it or not, you’ll have to endure seeing everyone around you have a good time. Or you can conduct your own study – it will give you something better to do than be on Facebook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment